Apr 16, 2013
Its time to cook Nasi Kerabu using the herbs I planted from my garden.
Nasi Kerabu, the blue colour tinted rice is eaten with all kinds of ulam ( herbs salad ), kerisik ikan, fried ikan kembong, ayam percik, solok lada, grilled beef, salted egg and keropok ikan. Then it is added with the sambal tumis with coconut milk, sambal chilli belacan or budu. Budu is a kind of fermented anchovy sauce which was widely used in east coast region. For Nasi Kerabu, it has to go with the kerisik ikan and sambal tumis. Without these two ingredients, Nasi Kerabu will not complete.
Here is my simple Nasi Kerabu.
Ingredients for Blue Tinted Rice :
2 cups of brown rice, washed and drained
3 pcs daun limau purut / kaffir lime leaves
20 pcs blue pea flower
Water for cooking the rice
1. Soaked the blue pea flower in a cup of hot boiling water in order to get the blue colouring. Remove the flower buds.
2. Soaked the brown rice in the blue colouring over night in order to get the blue colouring tinted on the rice. Drained.
3. In a rice cooker, cook the brown rice as normal by adding a few pieces of kaffir lime leaves into it.
Ingredients for Sambal Tumis Santan :
3 cloves garlic
2 big onions
15 pcs dried chillies, soaked in hot water till soft. Remove the seeds.
1 knob ginger
1 stalks lemon grass
1 pc asam keping
2 tbsp sugar
Coconut milk from 1 coconut ( I bought the ready squeezed coconut milk from the wet market ) & add 1 cup of water into it.
Salt to taste
1. Blend shallots, garlic, big onions, dried chillies & ginger in a blender.
2. In a pot, add in the blended ingredients, lemon grass, asam keping and coconut milk.
3. Simmer in low fire till the oil separated and gravy thickens.
4. Add in sugar and season with salt to taste. Set aside in a serving bowl.
Ingredients for Sambal Belacan :
4 red chillies, remove the seeds
3 red chili padi
Some lime juice
1 small knob toasted belacan
1. Pound red chillies , chili padi and belacan till fine.
2. Mix with some lime juice and set aside.
Ingredients for Kerisik Ikan :
1 Kembong fish, steamed and flaked ( I used pan fried salmon, which is left over from my dinner )
1/2 grated coconut
4 shallots, pounded till fine
4 cloves garlic, pounded till fine
Salt & sugar
1. In a pan, fry the grated coconut till brown in colour.
2. Add in the flaky fish meat, and pounded shallots and garlic. Season with salt and sugar to taste.
3. I gave it a pulse in my Thermomix machine in order to get a finer kerisik ikan.
Ingredient for Herbs Salad :
Four Angled Beans
1. Cut the above herbs and salad finely.
2. In a big bowl, mixed the herbs with beansprouts and set aside.
To assemble the dish :
In a plate, put a bowl of blue rice. Add about 1 tbsp or more of kerisik ikan and the desired amount of herbs salad. Then add in a tablespoon of sambal tumis sauce and a tsp of sambal belacan. Then top it up with few pieces of keropok ikan.
To eat :
Mix everything and time to enjoy the Nasi Kerabu. Adoiiii…. sedapnya.