I am re-posting this recipe again and for a step-by-step pictorial, you can refer to my previous post HERE.
500gm pork belly ( with skin )
1 yam peeled
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp cornflour for thickening
2 pcs red fermented beancurd ( smashed )
1 tbsp sauce of the red fermented beancurd
1 1/2 tsp soya bean paste / tauchoo
3 pcs star anise
4 pcs cloves
1 inch cinnamon
Seasoning B :
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp Hsiao Hsing Wine
2 bowls of water
1. Blanch pork belly in boiling water for 15 minutes, then rub with some dark soya sauce while hot, then pierce the skin with a pork.
2. Heat frying pan with some oil, then saute the pork till both side turns brown. Dish out and rinse under water until skins shows fine lines. Then cut into 2 cm thick slices.
3. Cut the yam as the size of the meat. Then arrange them alternately in a deep bowl with the pork skin facing down.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil and saute the garlic and seasoning A until fragrant. Then pour in seasoning B and bring to boil.
5. Thicken with cornflour. Pour the gravy over the meat and yam.
6. Steam the dish for 2 hours.